Please bullet point each characteristic if possible. I have no idea the minimum word count. Any in-text citation should be done using APA formatting. Please include a reference list where you found you information complete with a “retrieved by date” and web address information in the reference list. Please use websites to discover this information, as using a book looks like I have used a writing service.
Title: Characteristics of Academic Writing
1. Objective: Academic writing aims to present an unbiased, evidence-based argument or analysis supported by credible sources. It strives to inform and persuade rather than entertain or express personal opinions.
2. Formal tone: Academic writing employs a formal tone, avoiding slang, colloquialisms, and overly personal language. It emphasizes clarity, precision, and objectivity in conveying ideas and arguments.
3. Complexity: Academic writing involves complex ideas, theories, and concepts. It requires rigorous analysis, critical thinking, and engagement with relevant literature in the field.
4. Structure and organization: Academic writing follows a clear and logical structure, typically consisting of an introduction, main body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It may also include headings and subheadings to guide the reader through the content.
5. Citations and referencing: Academic writing requires the use of proper citations and referencing to acknowledge the sources of information used. This helps to support arguments, avoid plagiarism, and allows readers to verify the information.
6. Use of evidence: Academic writing is grounded in evidence obtained from credible sources such as peer-reviewed journals, books, and reputable websites. It relies on empirical data, research findings, and scholarly publications to support claims.
7. Objectivity and neutrality: Academic writing strives for objectivity and neutrality by presenting evidence-based arguments without personal bias or emotional language. It aims to maintain a dispassionate and logical approach to the topic.
8. Accuracy: Academic writing prioritizes accuracy in terms of facts, figures, and data. It requires careful research and verification of information to ensure the credibility and reliability of the content.
9. Clarity and precision: Academic writing emphasizes clarity and precision in language. It avoids unnecessary jargon, convoluted sentence structures, and ambiguity to enhance understanding and interpretation by the reader.
10. Analytical approach: Academic writing often employs an analytical approach, critically evaluating and interpreting evidence to reach reasoned conclusions. It involves questioning assumptions, identifying patterns, and exploring different perspectives.
11. Objectives: Academic writing aims to contribute new knowledge, advance understanding in the field, or challenge existing theories or perspectives through well-supported arguments and structured analyses.
12. Audience awareness: Academic writing considers the intended audience, typically scholars, researchers, or fellow academics. It focuses on meeting the expectations and conventions of the targeted academic community.
American Psychological Association. (2020). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (7th ed.). Retrieved from https://apastyle.apa.org/
Harvard University Writing Center. (n.d.). Academic Writing. Retrieved January 15, 2022, from https://writingcenter.fas.harvard.edu/pages/academic-writing
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). Academic Writing. Retrieved January 15, 2022, from https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/index.html